COVID-19 UPDATE (4/1/21)

Monday 4th January 2021


Dear Parents and Carers

We have taken the difficult decision to partially close Castle School on Tuesday 5th January and Wednesday 6th January. This means that it will be open only to the children of key workers and to extremely vulnerable children, whose needs can be met more safely in an educational environment.

As you will be aware, unions representing both teaching and support staff have advised their members not to support the full reopening of primary and special schools in Tier 4 areas. In addition, clinically extremely vulnerable staff once again have to work from home in Tier 4. Combined with staff absences for other reasons, we are unsure, currently, whether we will have sufficient staff available to open safely for all pupils.

I am aware that many parents/carers will be very anxious about children returning to school due to the current rate of Covid transmission and should this be the case, we are very happy to work with you to ensure the best outcomes for your child – no parents will be fined for keeping their child out of school at the present time.

In light of the above, if you are able to safely keep your child at home for the next 2 days, Tuesday 5th and Wednesday 6th January, this would give us the opportunity to fully consider these new developments, update procedures where necessary and decide on immediate next steps.

If you require a place in school, please contact us via the school email or one of the telephone numbers that has been texted to you.

I am sorry that we’ve had to take this decision, for the very short notice given and for the inconvenience this will cause you. We are working to try and fully reopen as soon as possible. We will review arrangements for the rest of the week and give you as much notice as possible about any further changes.

Thank you for your support

Sara Wild

Principal, Castle School